1. Are you trying to eliminate the curatorial aspect in your gallery?
1. In gallery Umakart we neither eliminate nor promote. The curatorial aspect is important for running such a small gallery. I like it mainly because as curator I can do whatever I like and experiment in the field of creating situations. With elimination I went rather in the opposite direction, because at the end of 2009 I invited Kateřina Olivová to become the second curator of the project.
2. What is the concept of your gallery like?
2. Our concept is really simple. We exhibit young art. Fresh art. We focus on video art, performance and installations. We experiment. As the gallery is in the window-case on a busy street (Lidická 40), we have wide spectra of wanted and even unwanted visitors – which alone form new aspect of the gallery. We are focused on opening days, which becomes an event in Brno.
3. Do you know about any contemporary art gallery with a similar concept abroad, which is as well run by the artists and whose activity remains in the non-profit sector? Would you give me, please, its website and email address. Choose one gallery only.
3. Not a long time ago we have visited a very special gallery in Berlin - The future gallery http://www.thefuturegallery.org/ , which I found interesting just because of the experimental curatorial aspect. It’s as well, not unlike Umakart, focused mainly on the exhibition openings.
4. Are you willing to participate for your gallery in the upcoming exhibition in Armature works in Ústí nad Labem in September 2011?