1. Are you trying to eliminate the curatorial aspect in your gallery?
1. We are not trying to systematically eliminate the curatorial aspect, nevertheless with such a small space it’s difficult to find a place for curatorial exhibitions. Naturaly, the exception makes the rule. Regarding the curatorial concept of the cellar itself we focus more on interesting ideas of the authors and we usually try not to meddle into their projects. Our curatorial activity is the choice of interesting authors, the exhibitions are usually created by the artists themselves, we consult from time to time solely the installation.
2. What is the concept of your gallery like?
2. Gallery in cellar was created from the need to enrich the list of Prague galleries with a new one, which would focus on contemporary art and works of the students from art colleges throughout all the Czech Republic. Gallery in cellar is situated in historical centre of Prague, which we find very important, because it seems to us that the historical core of Prague starts to embalm into the form of colorful cake full of commercial galleries and putrefied collections of old art. One of our aims is at least to make an attempt to fill the Lesser Quarter with contemporary visual culture. Gallery in cellar is noncommercial and it has minimal costs, our goal is to create certain platform of representation. The viewer isn’t according to us the consumer, but the direct participant of exhibitions. Gallery in cellar is limited to opening exhibitions – events. The concept of the gallery concentrates on installations, site-specific projects and objects.
3. Do you know about any contemporary art gallery with a similar concept abroad, which is as well run by the artists and whose activity remains in the non-profit sector? Would you give me, please, its website and email address. Choose one gallery only.
3. There are plenty of them for sure, but I do not know any particular. I will give you some later.
4. Are you willing to participate for your gallery in the upcoming exhibition in Armature works in Ústí nad Labem in September 2011?